Saturday, January 31, 2009

Chicago, you're a hell of a town

Chicago, you're a hell of a town.
www.davejennings.net http://dvj4.blogspot.com/

Hey Chicago, why do you do the things you do?

Tuesday marks my 5th month in the Second City.

This town is like an abusive boyfiriend. It smacks you around, but you know there's something good in there. It forgets your birthday, and then it takes you out to a really nice dinner. It draws you in, and doesn't let you leave.

I have been scraping away for five months, I was at the end of it all. I am down to my last dollar. It has been a roller coaster:

September:
Moved to Chicago, great apartment, great friends, no job.
Found two jobs, part time. Working 50 hours a week. Making ends meet.
Got into the Second City Conservatory.

October/November
Auditioned for a few things, did not get anything.
I could not get an "in" anywhere.

December
Worked a lot, covered bills, head above water--- but barely.
Got a partial lay off from the Museum of Science and Industry, and I had to watch some great people get laid off completely. THat sucked a lot.
My catering job dissappeared... I had no shifts from Dec 20th to Jan 20th
The city got cold, not frozen like Minneapolis, but cold.

January
Still cold.
Job searching sucked.
Broke up with my girlfriend, which sucked. I was so stressed about everything in my life.
Budgeting everything.
Can't even get an interview for a job.
Making plans in my head about how to move back to the farm
Get into a great show: Tarantino: The Improvised show (www.tarantinotheshow.wordpress.com)
Got into a student/independant film where I play a villain, which is great... a fun film. Great for a reel.
Obama became president.
Got an internship working for Second City in the Training Center.
Got an interview, got a second interview. Got the job.

As the ticking in my bank account seemed ready to explode, Chicago took me out to dinner, calmed me down, and told me that I was loved.

Fuck you, Chicago, fuck you. Ok, we can work this out.

Looks like I am here for awhile.

No comments: